A Leader leads by Example…A Driver drives by Force
- Do I ask people to do things I am not willing to do myself?
- Do I lead people from my position or from trust and respect?
- Am I more concerned about people serving me or me serving people?
- Do I take risks for my team, or do I always play it safe?
- Do I show people what to do or tell people what to do?
A Leader leads by Equipping…A Driver drives by Firing
- Do people know if they make a mistake, I will coach them through it, or do they fear I will fire them?
- Do people feel like I am investing in them or just using them?
- Do I have a growth plan for the people I lead, or do I leave them to figure things out for themselves?
- Do people see their job responsibilities as a growth path or a way to keep from getting fired?
- Do I spend more time mentoring or managing?
A Leader leads by Encouragement…A Driver drives by Fear
- Am I leading from the front with a flag or from the back with a whip?
- Do people feel comfortable coming to me with questions and feedback, or are they afraid to share with me?
- Do people leave team meetings excited or worried about their assignments?
- Do people hear me cheering for them or yelling at them?
- Do I point out more positive things about my team than I do negative things?